Saint Mary's College of California River of Words Contest
Age limit: 5-20
River of Words® (ROW) is a program of The Center for Environmental Literacy and a part of the Kalmanovitz School of Education, at Saint Mary's College of California. Students must be enrolled in school to be eligible. All entries must be submitted by a parent, guardian, educator, or facilitator unless the student is 18 years old or older. The entries should be somewhat related to nature or the environment.
-All poems must be original work.
1. Physical poetry submissions must be either typed or legibly written in ink (not pencil) and mailed with a completed Paper Entry Form.
2. Poems should not exceed 32 lines in length.
3. Collaborative poems are accepted, but only one student (chosen as the group representative) will be eligible for any prizes awarded.
4. At this time, we are able to accept poems only in English and Spanish.
- Artwork (includes photography)
-All artwork must be original work.
1. Artwork should not exceed 11" by 17" in size-no exceptions.
2. Acceptable media are paint, pencil, markers, ink, crayon, chalk or pastel (fixed), photography, cloth, collage and computer art. (Photo entries must be at least 8x10 inches.)
3. All art entries must be mailed. All entries must have the student's name, school, city and state on the back - do not use a marker or anything that will show through!
4. We do not accept color copies-all entries must be original work.
5. Art entries must be done on paper that will allow for duplication, display or framing. Please, no notebook or typing paper, and do not mat, mount, laminate, frame or fold artwork.
6. Entries must be mailed flat or rolled in a tube - no folding, please!
Therefore, poetry is the only category that you can submit online; Keep note that you do have to pay for shipping if you submit in the artwork category, although there is no actual submission fee.